Editorial and Administrative Offices
Crystal River, FL 34428-9426
(352) 794-6770, cellphone (352) 321-0364
I have extensive experience as a professional writer, journalist, editor, photographer and publisher. I have covered national and international news and feature stories in the U.S. and around the world. As a news bureau chief and managing editor I assigned stories to reporters and editors working in news bureaus in Cairo, Egypt; Chicago; Houston; London, UK, Los Angeles; New York; Paris, France; and Washington, D.C.
I have covered important news and feature stories in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, the Far East and the United States.
I have been a freelance video journalist with Fox News in Tampa, Florida. Two news clips can be seen on the Photography page on this site.
More recently, in September 2010, during the threat by Rev. Terry Jones to burn the Qu’ran in Florida, I reported on the latest developments in this event for several news organizations including the BBC and daily newspapers, see:
City Plans To Bill Pastor Jones For Security Costs, Arab News, Sep 19, 2010
Resolution To Islamic Center In The Works, Arab News, Sep 13, 2010
World in Uproar Over Pastor Terry Jones’ Antics, Arab News, Sep 10, 2010
US, World Unites Against Pastor Terry Jones’ Move, Arab News, Sep 10, 2010
Pastor Terry Jones Calls Off Burning of Holy Qu’ran, Arab News, Sep 10, 2010
A as a senior writer and editor with the Saudi Arabian Oil Company in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, I fine-tuned a unique combination of technical writing and editing skills. I was the editor of several weekly newspapers, a technological petroleum industry magazine and hundreds of publications and brochures.
- Spearheaded a one-year VALUES campaign to encourage employees to establish core values and standards.
- Coordinated communications with the media, employees and government entities.
- Final approval for ALL English-language materials published by this multi-national company. These included technical brochures and newsletters for five company-owned hospitals, two petrochemical companies, plastic extrusion plants, five schools, and three television and radio stations.
- During the Iraq wars, I wrote news stories, press releases and edited a weekly newspaper. I arranged guides and buses and accompanied the media to cover news stories around the Eastern Province and helped the media with newspaper, radio and television coverage of the Gulf War.
- Managed news operations, news and feature stories, emergency drills and press coverage at worldwide offices in Amsterdam and The Hague, Netherlands; Athens, Greece; Cairo; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; London; Los Angeles; New York; Paris; and Washington, DC.
- Prepared press releases, technical materials, PowerPoint presentations and speeches.
- Wrote and edited materials for displays, projects and exhibits for engineers and the public in the Dhahran’s Saudi Aramco Petroleum Exhibit and traveling exhibits around-the-world.
- Planned technical meetings and events in Saudi Arabia and abroad. Wrote and edited programs and planned events for professional and technical groups like the American Society of Chemical Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers and Society of Petroleum Engineers and other organizations.
- Interviewed engineers, geophysicists and seismologists for articles in worldwide magazines and for the Saudi Aramco Journal of Technology, an engineering magazine distributed to leading research facilities and colleges in the US, Europe and Asia.
I left Saudi Aramco in 2004 when my son came back to the U.S. to attend high school. At that time I had final approval for all news, features and technical articles, which I coordinated with upper company management, including the Oil Minister of Saudi Arabia, engineers, geophysicists and seismologists. Working with these experts, I prepared highly-technical PowerPoint presentations and speeches for national and international conferences and conventions, and planned company participation in these events.
Prior to joining Saudi Aramco I was with Saudi Research & Marketing Company managing its news bureau in Houston, where I managed more than 50 reporters and editors and was subsequently assigned to the headquarters in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I was the editor and managing editor, responsible for news and feature coverage two international daily newspapers, four consumer magazines and one business magazine. To see a sample of one of the newspapers take a look at the Arab news website.
For two years, after returning from overseas, I was managing editor of a twice-a-month magazine covering the independent insurance industry. With Insurance Journal and Claims Journal, I covered a wide variety of insurance industry meetings and conferences in nine southeastern states; this included attending state legislature sessions, meetings and press conferences called by insurance commissioners and quarterly and annual conventions held by large insurance associations. I would write three or four stories per day and post them on the above two websites. Here is a link to a few of the articles I wrote for Insurance Journal. The stories for Claims Journal can be found here.
I have been a member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors, Florida Freelance Writers Association; Investigative Reporters and Editors, National Press Photographer’s Association, National Writers Union, Society of Business Editors and Writers, and Society of Environmental Journalists.
Freelance Business Writing and Photography – I covered all types of news and feature events.
Newsletters – Extensive experience as a professional writer, journalist, editor and photographer make me extremely qualified for any publishing position. For three years, I was managing editor and new newsletter development editor for a large newsletter publisher in San Francisco. With this company I wrote and developed several dozen new business, insurance, real estate and investing newsletters. To see samples of these newsletters, including several very successful ones take a look at Crittenden Online. I also wrote national and international newsletters for Saudi Research and Marketing, both in Houston and in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Public Relations – Writing news releases and preparing stories and photo coverage for leading businesses.